Youth Basketball Program
When: Wednesdays, November 20, 2019 to January 22, 2020 Note: Final date TBD.
- Time: 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m
- Holiday dates: the program will likely be cancelled December 25, 2019 and January 1, 2020
What: Our goal is to unite Grange Hill East Neighbourhood youth in a fun, safe and inclusive program where they can develop their basketball skills and meet new friends. Each week new skills and games will be taught based on Canada Basketball’s Long-term Athlete Development Model and Sport for Life’s Physical Literacy guidelines.
Embedded in each lesson will be a theme based on life skills, such leadership, respect, positive attitude and teamwork. This initiative is hosted by the Grange Hill East Neighbourhood Group in partnership with Active Scholars.
- Recommended ages: Co-ed youth, aged 7-12 (grade 2-7)
- All skill levels welcome: Beginners and more experienced participants are all welcome. Dependent upon registrations numbers, the group will split into two groups based on skill and/or age.
- Snacks available: Each participant will receive a healthy snack as part of the program.
More about Active Scholars: This non-profit organization joins sports and education by immersing participants in STEM while instilling movement skills, character development, health consciousness and teamwork values through sports training. It was founded by Christa Eniojukan, a teacher with the TDSB and current head coach Women’s Basketball Program of the University of the Ontario Institute of Technology.
- Where: Ken Danby School Gymnasium, 525 Grange Rd. (please enter through the Community Room doors, located to the right of the school’s main doors).
Coach: Vanessa Lodge
Cost: $60.00 (a limited number of subsidies are available)
Registration form: https://tinyurl.com/tl4gug2
Late Registration? No problem. If spaces are available, registrants are eligible to register up to 2 weeks after first session.
Seeking Volunteers: Helping hands are needed! If you would like to volunteer for this program, please e-mail email@example.com stating what interests you about this initiative. No prior basketball experience is necessary, but you will be required to help out with an active program and wear appropriate shoes/clothing for the gym.